Green building and sustainable building concepts are reshaping the construction industry. Mandatory green building codes are beginning to be implemented on the federal, local, and state level and “green” contracts are becoming widespread nationwide. As a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and the U.S. Green Building Council of Louisiana, our Green Building and Sustainability lawyers understand this rapidly evolving industry and have written and lectured on the issue extensively. Shields Law Partners provides legal advice and services to developers, project owners, contractors, and sureties from drafting sustainable contracts to litigating green performance issues and green design defects.
Shields Law Partners attorneys are equipped to handle our clients’ various sustainability matters, including
- Drafting green building contracts
- Assistance with obtaining LEED certification and appealing LEED certification denials
- Advice pertaining to applicable federal, state and municipal laws and regulations.
- Identifying, managing and avoiding risks inherent in green building related to contract drafting, negotiation, performance, and post performance commissioning.
- Helping clients avoid claims of unfair trade practices or green washing, as well as defending lawsuits alleging environmental damage or violations.
- Advocating and defending claims of failures of “green”
- Advocating claims for defective “green” design and/or administration against architects.
- Litigation and arbitration arising from green building projects.